2017 CPGIS Annual Conference
Conference Website: http://www.ncgia.buffalo.edu/cpgis
Conference Theme: The Past and Future 25 Years
- International Association of Chinese Professionals in Geographic Information Sciences (CPGIS)
- National Center for Geographic Information Analysis at Buffalo (NCGIA - Buffalo)
- CPGIS Base at College of Environment and Planning, Henan University
- Confucius Institute, University at Buffalo
- State Key Laboratory of Resources and Environmental Information System, Institute of Geographic Sciences
and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- NSF Spatiotemporal Innovation Center, UCSB/GMU/Harvard
- International Society for Digital Earth
- Ministry of Education's Key Laboratory of Poyang Lake Wetland and Watershed Research, Jiangxi Normal
- Office of the Vice Provost for International Education, University at Buffalo
- State Key Laboratory of Information Engineering in Surveying, Mapping and Remote Sensing, Wuhan University
The Geoinformatics conference series was initiated by the International Association of Chinese Professionals in Geographic Information Sciences (CPGIS) in 1992. This international conference series has provided a unique forum for exchanging novel ideas and cutting-edge knowledge on geographic information sciences and technologies among GIS professionals worldwide.
The 2017 CPGIS annual conference will be held August 2-4, 2017 in Buffalo, NY, USA. It will be the 25th anniversary of CPGIS. The National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis at Buffalo (NCGIA-Buffalo) will host the conference at CPGIS’s birthplace to celebrate 25 years’ success and pay tribute to CPGIS members.
Please note there are also two workshops before and after the conference: Geography in Public Health (7/29-8/1, 2017) and Environmental Modeling (8/5-8/8, 2017). For other details of the conference: http://www.ncgia.buffalo.edu/cpgis
We welcome traditional topics in GIScience and also encourage papers on new and emergent themes including but not limit to:
- Big GeoData,
- GIScience of the Internet of Things,
- Geospatial Semantic Web,
- Sensor Geomatics,
- Geosimulation Modeling,
- Mobile Computing,
- Mobile Behavior,
- Complex Networks,
- Online Social Media,
- Cyber Computing, Events and Process,
- Critical GIS
to address societal issues, such as climate change, smart cities, precision medicine, urban mobility, crime analysis, migration, disaster, and environmental sustainability. Topics on China are especially encouraged. These include, but not limited to, population, urban development, and environment. Papers from a wide range of disciplines related to Geographic Information Sciences are invited, including: Geography, Cognitive science, Computer science, Engineering, Information science, Social science, Urban Planning, among many others.
- Last day to book hotel rooms: July 12, 2017
- Registration opens: January 31, 2017.
- Early Bird registration ends: May 15, 2017.
- Abstract due: April 10, 2017.
- Notice of acceptance of abstract: April 15, 2017
- Full paper due: April 10, 2017.
- Notice of acceptance of full paper: May 10, 2017
CPGIS Regular Member: $400 before 2017-05-15 ; $450 after 2017-05-15.
CPGIS Student Member: $220 before 2017-05-15 ; $270 after 2017-05-15.
Non-CPGIS Member: $500 before 2017-05-15 ; $550 after 2017-05-15.
Non-CPGIS Student Member: $320 before 2017-05-15; $370 after 2017-05-15.
The registration fee includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and tea/cofee breaks.
Registration Refund Policy:
If participants cannot attend the conference due to a rejected visa application or other uncontrollable causes, the registration fee is partially refundable, excluding the credit card processing fee and the paper review costs.
All registrants received two invitations to participate in a visa status survey.
If you responded to the surveys, and are now unable to attend, we are able to give you a partial registration refund.
If you did not respond to the survey by the survey deadline of July 12, we are not able to process a refund.
If you are not able to attend due to personal reasons, the registration fee is not refundable.
If you need the invitation letter, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org the following: 1) your Date of Birth, 2) your Passport Number, 3) your detailed workplace address, and 4) the digital receipt showing that you have successfully paid for the registration fee.
Submission and Acceptance:
Authors can choose to submit either an extended abstract or a full paper (but not both). Authors of accepted extended abstract or full paper will be invited to give oral (or poster) presentations at the conference. Acceptance priority will be given to submissions with concrete research results. Publications include the following:
1. CD-ROM publication:
All accepted extended abstracts and full papers will be published in the CD-ROM format and distributed to all participants of the Conference.
2. Conference proceedings by IEEE:
Selected full papers from those presented at the conference will be included in the Conference Proceedings published by IEEE.
3. Special issue in peer-reviewed journals:
Selected papers in specific topics will also be published as special issues in peer-reviewed journals.
Full papers that are accepted to be included in the Conference Proceedings will be charged a publication fee of $200, which is separate from the conference registration fee. The fee will be used to cover the cost in managing, reviewing, and compiling the submissions for the proceedings.
Instructions to Authors:
Please download the instructions to authors, template for extended abstract, template for full paper, and example of full paper for your reference.
Please carefully read the instructions as follows:
1. The length of an extended abstract is 800 – 1000 words in English. It is basically a shortened full paper and contains all major information about the research, particularly the objective, methodology, results, and conclusion. Please use the template of extended abstract to prepare your submission of this type. The deadline of submission is April 10, 2017.
2. For full papers, please submit the abstract of the full paper first, using the same foramt of an extended abstract. Once the abstract is accepted, the author(s) will be invited to submit the full paper. A full paper must strictly follow the format requirements of IEEE. Please use the template of full paper or the example of full paper to prepare the full paper submission. The length of a full paper is 4-6 pages. It is also highly recommended that the paper be proofread by an experienced English editor. Papers that do not meet the format and language requirements will not be further reviewed for content. The deadline of submission is April 10, 2017.
3. If the authors whose papers have been selected for the IEEE proceedings are not able to attend the Conference, they must notify the Chair of the CPGIS Conference Committee email@example.com 4 weeks before the Conference. The authors who fail to do so will face the consequence of their papers being withdrawn from the proceedings, and the publication fee will NOT be refunded.